Wednesday, November 10, 2010

What a Trip!

In the space of a week, I was in America, Europe, the Middle East and China! No wonder I don't know if I should get up or go to bed!

Last Sunday, I first worked with Diani and her horsein Aachen. In the evening we started the trip to China. I did get a couple of hours in Dubai, so we took a taxi and saw the city (the photo to the right is the Burj Al Khalifa building, the tallest building in the world). Very exiting and different! Fun!!! By the time we arrived at our hotel in Guangzhou it was 1:30 am on Tuesday. It was a long day.........

We are outside the city--actually out in the middle of nowhere! It's very pretty, but only hard working people who don't speak English. It took me days before I could get help with my computer, because so few people speak English. Of course I had to ask for Diani's help. She is the only one in our group who speaks Chinese, so she has to translate for all of us! Thank God for her! Without all of her perfect preparation, I'm just sailing through. She has done a fantastic job!!! If things are not done properly, you are sunk. No exceptions for anyone.It's too much to tell you all how it is. The security is enormous; there are checkpoints everywhere. Lots of security workers, police and guards: everything is checked when you go in,and out. If you look up the hill, you find them! If you look out the hotel window, you see them walk the fence line. No trespassing here, that's for sure!! There are people from parts of old Russia, India, the Middle East and countries that I've barely heard of. It's fun!

The horses arrived late Tuesday night after a long flight. One team horse is still not 100%, but we all hope he will come around. Diani's horse Stravinsky is looking great and the training is going as planned. We do the veterinary jog on Saturday and start to compete on Sunday. The opening ceremony is on Saturday evening and they tell us that it will be a big thing. This is so importent to China and very political. I'm looking forward to be part of it!

So for now, that's it. It's 6 am, the fog is lifting from the river and I have to go to work.

Best to all!

mette

No comments:

Post a Comment